Who's Responsible for Costs of Cleaning Up Contamination Caused by Tenants?
- 1990: Owner 1 buys undeveloped, pristine commercial property.
- 1993: Construction is completed on a brand-new shopping center.
- 1994: Owner 1 leases space in the new center to ABC Dry Cleaners for 10 years.
- 1994 to 2004: ABC’s storage and use of hazardous chemicals during its lease cause environmental contamination to the property.
- 2005: Owner 2 purchases the shopping center; no further contamination occurs during its ownership.